The 48th Annual Byzantine Studies Conference in Los Angeles, California, November 3-6, 2022
The conference will be hosted by the CMRS Center for Early Global Studies with the collaboration of the UCLA Stavros Niarchos Foundation Center for the Study of Hellenic Culture and assistance from the Pourdavoud Center for the Study of the Iranian World. For conference information, including registration and hotels, click on the link below. For funding opportunities see Travel Reimbursement and the Byzantinists of Color Conference Grant.
Local Arrangements Committee
- Co-Chair: Sharon E. J. Gerstel, Professor of Byzantine Art & Archaeology, and Director of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Center for the Study of Hellenic Culture, UCLA
- Co-Chair: Zrinka Stahuljak, Professor of Comparative Literature and French, and Director of the CMRS Center for Early Global Studies, UCLA
- Galina Tirnanic, Chair, Associate Professor, Oakland University (Art History)
- Nicole Paxton Sullo, M. Seeger O’Boyle Postdoctoral Fellow, Princeton University (Art History)
- Luis Sales, Assistant Professor, Scripps College (Religion)
- Shaun Tougher, Professor, Cardiff University (History)
- Vessela Valiavitcharska, Associate Professor, University of Maryland, College Park (Literature)
New travel stipend initiative for BSC 2022
The BSANA-Dumbarton Oaks Liaison Committee is pleased to announce two new funding initiatives for the Byzantine Studies Conference, which will begin with the November 2022 BSC at UCLA.
Dumbarton Oaks will provide a $1,000 travel stipend for each graduate student presenting a paper in person for the graduate student session. BSANA is grateful to DO for this generous support of graduate student emerging scholars.
In addition, Dumbarton Oaks will fund up to three travel stipends for early career contingent scholars presenting papers in person at the BSC 2022 in any session. As defined by BSANA, “Early Career Contingent Scholars designate scholars who have earned their PhD within the past 8 years and who do not hold permanent or tenure-track appointments. This includes scholars serving as adjuncts, post-doctoral fellows, contingent faculty, and those holding other non-tenured academic and non-academic positions.” Any early career contingent scholar who has had a paper accepted for the BSC 2022 at UCLA is eligible to apply for a Dumbarton Oaks travel stipend of up to $1,500. If you would like to be considered for this award, please notify Galina Tirnanic (email@example.com) no later than Friday, September 23. BSANA is grateful for this generous support of early career contingent scholars.
These travel stipends will also be available at the 2023 BSC. Details will accompany the 2023 BSC CFP.
Any questions regarding these awards can be directed to Alicia Walker (firstname.lastname@example.org), Chair of the BSANA-DO Liaison Committee.