Byzantine Studies Conference Archives
Twenty-Ninth Annual Byzantine Studies Conference
Bates College, Lewiston, Maine
Business Lunch Minutes: Saturday, October 18, 2003
1. Patrick Viscuso, President of the BSC, called the meeting to order at 1:09.
2.On the motion duly made by D. Olster and seconded by G. Majeska, the minutes for the Business Lunch meeting in 2002 (5.xi) were approved, with minor corrections added by Sarolta Takacs.
3. President’s Report:
4.Treasurer’s Report John Cotsonis reported that income for the previous year had resulted in a net profit for the BSC. Alice-Mary Talbot queried the $150 entry for graduate student travel grants, and the Treasurer replied that only one student had requested re-imbursement for 2002. The budget was duly approved.
5. Governing Board Elections - A petition was presented to add one name to the ballot, and a vote was held for the four places from the five candidates. The following were elected to the Governing Board: John Birkenheimer, Lynn Jones, David Olster, Martha Vinson./p>
6. P. Viscuso requested all to stand for a moment of silence to honor those Byzantinists who had died in the past year, and he named, in particular, George Galavaris, Ernst Kitzinger and David Nicol.
7. Graduate Student Prize for 2002 On behalf of the Program Committee, Patrick Viscuso presented the prize to Alicia Walker.
8. Report of BSC/DO Liaison Committee The minutes of the meeting were presented by Paul Halsall to the membership, and on a motion duly made by David Olster, seconded by Claudia Rapp, the minutes were accepted.
9. Report from Dumbarton Oaks: Edward Keenan addressed the membership on the subject of the renovations to the facilities. Alice-Mary Talbot reported on the programs, including a seal and coins seminar in the summer of 2004, graduate student residency program, and a colloquium on Byzantine occult sciences.
10. Announcements -
11. Date and Time of Next Governing Board Meeting 6:15, 18.x.03.
12. P. Viscuso expressed the membership's thanks to Anthony Kaldellis for his superb work on the organization of the conference and to outgoing members of the Governing Board.
13. Adjournment On a motion duly made by D. Olster, seconded by C. Rapp, the meeting adjourned at 2:05 p.m.Respectfully submitted,
Glenn Peers, secretary